Let’s admit that DevOps is a buzzworthy concept nowadays. Apart from utilizing the vast array of roles that DevOps offers, enthusiasts can earn more by pursuing a career in the domain. Besides, tons of perks make DevOps the most sought-after opportunities among any other IT field. So, you are on the right pathway if DevOps excites you!
Among all job roles, DevOps engineering is leading the industry. According to LinkedIn, companies in the US have more than 49,000 DevOps engineer vacancies. Besides, the average annual salary of a DevOps engineer is as high as $97,021 per year. All these perks justify the immense popularity earned by the DevOps engineering profile.
So, are you excited to become a DevOps engineer? You would have to go through a long pathway to achieve your professional goals. We’ve got your back, however. You require a comprehensive DevOps engineering guide apart from registering with a DevOps Training session.
Here is the ultimate DevOps engineer guide for beginners to help you bag lucrative jobs. Let’s dive in!
Read about : Data Scientist
What Exactly is DevOps?
- 1 What Exactly is DevOps?
- 2 What Do You Mean by DevOps Engineering?
- 3 Who are DevOps Engineers: Roles and Responsibilities
- 4 What are the Necessary Skills to Become a DevOps Engineer?
- 5 Linux Understanding and Scripting
- 6 DevOps Tools and Technologies
- 7 Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery
- 8 Infrastructure-as-a-Code
- 9 Soft Skills
- 10 How to Become a DevOps Engineer
- 11 Self-Learning
- 12 Certification Course
Since it’s all about DevOps, beginning the discussion by clearing its definition will help you in the long haul.
So, what do you mean by DevOps? Essentially, it is a mindset or philosophy to shape the workflow of businesses. It comprises some steps to shorten the Software Development Lifecycles (SDLCs) and make the entire process more efficient without compromising the quality of final products.
You can think of DevOps to be a derivative of Agile methodologies. Also, the DevOps principles extend the Agile concepts for a better business environment.
Moving on, let’s understand the meaning of DevOps engineering.
What Do You Mean by DevOps Engineering?
Now that you have some understanding of DevOps, you might want to get more role-specific. So, here is an overview of DevOps engineering for you.
What exactly is DevOps engineering? It is one of the most looked-upon career opportunities in the DevOps industry. As you already know, DevOps revolves around the Software Development Lifecycle. So, a corresponding engineer caters to the needs of various platforms, methodologies, and tools during the entire process.
Besides, a DevOps engineer collaborates with the entire team during all steps from coding to deployment and delivery.
Impressive, right? The life of a DevOps engineer is challenging, exciting, and adventurous. They have numerous roles and responsibilities in an organization. Let’s move further!
Who are DevOps Engineers: Roles and Responsibilities
You just had a brief introduction with DevOps engineers. Now, you might be thinking about their roles and responsibilities in an organization
So, here we are, discussing the exciting roles and responsibilities of a DevOps engineer.
- As a DevOps engineer, you are required to identify the essential KPIs and business requirements.
- You would be deploying numerous development, automation, and testing tools in business processes.
- A DevOps engineer is held responsible for configuring IT infrastructure and various tools.
- They also require testing and verifying source codes of various processes.
- Besides verification, they also need to troubleshoot and fix bugs in source codes.
- They ensure minimal wastage and monitor the entire process in an organization.
- Automation is the key to efficient processes. So, the DevOps engineers should introduce automation wherever possible.
- Also, they handle cybersecurity campaigns to keep vulnerabilities and risks at bay.
- Root cause analysis is yet another essential responsibility of a DevOps engineer.
- Since this role is all about teamwork, a DevOps engineer must ensure collaboration and communication among various teams.
- These professionals strategize to achieve better customer experiences with software products.
- Finally, they are responsible for time to time reporting to the management and customers.
Let’s get more specific to your preparation now!
What are the Necessary Skills to Become a DevOps Engineer?
Did the roles and responsibilities of a DevOps engineer inspire you? Congrats if it’s a yes!
Now, let’s discuss the skills you will need to gain such a job and earn a substantial income.
Linux Understanding and Scripting
The knowledge of Linux and DevOps go hand-in-hand. So, you can expect your interviewer to ask numerous Linux questions. You would need to master the fundamental and intermediate concepts of Linux to answer all questions asked in a DevOps engineer interview.
Besides Linux, BASH and Shell scripting will provide you with an edge over all job applicants.
DevOps Tools and Technologies
It would be beneficial if you grasped the theoretical portion of various DevOps tools and technologies. Additionally, extensive hands-on experiences using them will be helpful.
Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery
Apart from core DevOps platforms, it would help if you were a master of continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD). A knowledge of corresponding pipelines will be highly beneficial.
You must be familiar with the term ‘Infrastructure-as-a-Code.’ Besides mere familiarity, you should master IaaC to check on all job parameters and bag the opportunity effortlessly
Apart from the above technical skills, you should be proficient in leadership, management, and communications to edge over other applicants to a DevOps engineer job opportunity.
The above skills are hard-to-earn, and you require investing in a well-curated preparation strategy to become capable of getting selected as a DevOps engineer.
How to Become a DevOps Engineer
Now, it’s time to discuss the sweetest part. After talking about DevOps engineers all the while, you might be intrigued to know about the preparation strategy.
Here’s how you can prepare.
You can choose to study by yourself, and you will find numerous study materials, guides, and resources on the Internet for efficient preparations. However, since this is an unguided mode, you might feel it intimidating and overwhelming from the curriculum perspective.
Another mind-boggling preparation strategy is enrolling in a certification course. Apart from having professional instructors, these sessions have a well-defined curriculum. Additionally, they provide you with a course completion certificate which you can incorporate in your resume to validate your DevOps knowledge to the recruiters.
That’s all about DevOps engineering. Now, you require choosing the best preparation strategy and developing all the essential skills to grab the best jobs in the industry